Prime Minister Narendra Modi, whereas addressing this 12 months’s Excessive-Stage Phase of the UN Financial and Social Council session of the United Nations, mentioned India believes that the trail to realize sustainable peace and prosperity on this planet is thru multilateralism. PM Modi mentioned in India’s battle in opposition to COVID, the grass-roots well being system helps guarantee probably the greatest restoration charges on this planet.
The annual Excessive-level Phase convened a various group of high representatives from the federal government, the non-public sector, the civil society, and academia, a PMO assertion mentioned.
The theme of this 12 months’s Excessive-level Phase is “Multilateralism after COVID-19: What sort of UN do we’d like on the 75th anniversary.”
Listed here are the HIGHLIGHTS from PM Modi’s deal with:
- In our joint battle in opposition to COVID-19, we’ve prolonged medical and different help to over 150 nations. At this time, the United Nations brings collectively 193 member nations. Together with its membership, the expectations from the organisation have additionally grown. Be it earthquakes, cyclones, Ebola disaster or every other pure or man-made disaster, India has responded with velocity and solidarity.
- From the very starting, India has actively supported the UN’s growth work and the ECOSOC. The primary president of ECOSOC was an Indian. India additionally helped shape the ECOSOC agenda.
- At this time, via our home efforts, we’re once more taking part in a salient position in attaining Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Growth Targets. We’re additionally supporting different creating nations in assembly their Sustainable Growth Targets.
- Our motto is “Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikaas, Sabka Vishwas“, which implies “Collectively, for everybody’s development, with everybody’s belief.” This resonates with the core SDG precept of leaving no-one behind.
- Final 12 months, we celebrated the 150th start anniversary of the Father of our Nation, Mahatma Gandhi, by attaining full sanitation protection in our 600 thousand villages. Now we have leveraged the ability of expertise for monetary inclusion. That is primarily based on the trinity of a singular id quantity, a checking account, and a cell connection for everybody.
- Our ‘Housing for All’ programme will be sure that each Indian could have a protected and safe roof over their head by 2022, when India completes 75 years as an impartial nation. We’re additionally on observe to take away TB by 2025. Different creating nations can study from the size and success of India’s growth programmes.
- Over the previous few years, we’ve lowered 38 million tonnes of carbon emissions yearly. India additionally launched one of many largest campaigns for cleanliness and discouraged utilization of single-use plastic.
- COVID-19 pandemic has severely examined the resilience of all nations. In India, we’ve tried to make the battle in opposition to the pandemic a individuals’s motion, by combining the efforts of the federal government and the civil society. In our battle in opposition to COVID-19, we’re guaranteeing probably the greatest restoration charges on this planet.
- The United Nations was initially born from the furies of the World Struggle II. At this time, the fury of the pandemic offers the context for its rebirth and reform.
- With our deep dedication to sustaining world concord, to bettering socio-economic fairness, and to preserving nature’s stability, India will play its position in full assist of the UN agenda. Allow us to pledge to reform the worldwide multilateralism. Solely a reformed multilateralism with a reformed UN can solely meet the aspirations of humanity.